My collection of wise, and not so wise, postings

Thursday 12 July 2012

How to speak up?

So very often, when I read or watch the news, I just find myself in a state of open mouthed incredulity.
It is not so much the news itself which startles me, I know the human race inhabit evil and that we are really good at being selfish. The way some people  gang up and join the cruelty happening around us is strikingly ominous. It is so beyond belief that people lack that kind of compassion, to allow the kind of suffering we see many must endure in different ways... it makes me wonder if they do so out of pure relief it is not happening to themselves.
 Projects turn into a question of personal, political or religious prestige and cruelty is condemned, in words, but not acted upon... and if it is acted upon it is because there are financial issues involved.
I get so buffled and disappointed when I see how we react to what is wrong, bad and unjust.  I don’t know why, it is not as if I myself really do anything, but.....  let’s take an example. Only today I received 2 sms, telling me to support the case by sending in forward, and 3 links on facebook, wanting me to support the case by sharing the link.
It is all good, and very worthy causes, but.... my protest and disgust and support does not really show anywhere, does it? Where do these shared messages end up? They are locked in silence in phones and computers and end up as a random number somewhere, but to no annoyance to those responsible, sharing the messages, without knowing how they can make an impact or a change, turn out to become a breeze of good consience washing over my own ego.
We have numerous really great organisations which work for a better world, I only hope they keep up their work the old fashion way and do not fall into the neutralizing trap of sms and facebook. We really need their voices, and we need to hear it loud and clear, and people need to speak out loud.
A famous Norwegian author said that «You cannot permit it! You dare not, at all.
Accepting that outrage on all else may fall!»
Arnulf Øverland:  Du Må Ikke Sove,  Translated by Lars-Toralf Storstrand: Dare Not To Sleep!


One of the cases which upset me and that I found so incredibly repulsive last night. I can not even imagine how alone, scared and resigned she must have felt. http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/09/world/asia/afghanistan-public-execution/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?